When it comes to makeup, foundation is one thing you definitely want to make sure is made of natural ingredients. An abundance of foundations on the market are filled with not-so-natural ingredients, potentially harming more than just your skin. But not this one.
I’m so happy I stumbled upon this recipe for an organic smooth-finish foundation with sunscreen. She breaks it down nice and easy so that you know exactly what you’re doing — and where to get all of the ingredients! As soon as I discovered this, I knew I had to make my own.
Here’s what you need:
Ingredients (make sure all are organic and raw):
Carrier oil (jojoba, almond, or coconut work well — I used jojoba)
Zinc oxide (uncoated, non-nano, non-micronized)
For exact amounts and original recipe, please head over to Scratch Mommy!
You will also need a double boiler (I made my own using a glass bowl and saucepan), kitchen scale (very necessary!), whisk, and sealable container for your finished foundation.
1. Melt the carrier oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, and vitamin E in your double broiler, stirring with your whisk.
2. Once completely melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Wipe off excess moisture from your bowl.
3. Add the zinc oxide. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
5. Add cacao powder, and whisk to combine. Compare this color to that of the inside of your wrist. Add more cacao powder, about 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired color.
6. Pour the mixture into your container and allow to cool. Voila! You’ve just made your own all-natural foundation.
creamy consistency, and should stay on for hours. It’s meant to give light coverage and be used as a base beneath powder — not to conceal blemishes — so when applying, be sure to use a light coat! You can apply using clean fingers or a makeup sponge.
It feels incredible to use a makeup that you know is good for you (because you made it!!), AND contains a sunscreen. Look at you go!
If you decide to give this a go, let us know how it turns out!